The Omega VRT350 vertical juicer isn’t a cheap juicer but as the saying goes, “you get what you pay for”.
You can get one for $380 with free shipping and if that’s way outside of your budget then take a look at Omegas 8000 series of horizontal masticating juicers (J8003, J8004, J8005, J8006) which start at $230. If your budget is lower than this you’re probably looking for a centrifugal juicer.
This is a great masticating juicer and it uses a single auger to slowly crush and squeeze the juice out of produce. It creates juice of a noticeably higher quality than centrifugal juicers with less oxidation and damage to key enzymes found in fruits and vegetables. Anyone making the transition from a centrifugal juicer will immediately notice the flavors are clearer and sharper than centrifugal made juice.
When you choose a juicer you should buy the best you can afford. Juicing is beneficial no matter what juicer you use, but masticating juicers produce a much higher quality juice than cheaper centrifugal juicers. Think of buying a juicer like making an investment in your health and longevity.
If you can find the money to purchase a good masticating juicer like this one I would urge you to do so. The short term expense of buying this juicer is well worth the long term health benefits you will gain from having it. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture!
Average Price: $380
Juicer Type: Vertical / Single Auger
Power/Speed: 150 watt / 80 RPM
Brand/Model #: Omega / VRT350
- Low speed juicing prevents oxidation on degradation of juice
- Fine and coarse juicing screens for pulp control
- Capable of juicing wheatgrass at high yield
- Auto cleaning system
- Compact base
May I start this review by saying that I absolutely and utterly love this juicer. If you’ve been following me or my website for long you’ll know that when I don’t like something I say so. But equally when I think a product is great I will say so very clearly!
The Omega VRT350 gets on my good side right away by being a masticating juicer. Anyone who knows anything about juicing knows that centrifugal juicers generate more heat and oxidation which diminishes the quality of the juice. Fruits and vegetables contain many heat sensitive substances like vitamins and enzymes which are affected by heat.
The VRT350 is a single auger vertical juicer and is a low speed juicer. This model is only 150 watts and rotates at around 80 RPM which is a lot slower than centrifugal models which can rotate at up to 15,000 RPM!
This low speed means that it may take slightly longer to juice than with a centrifugal model but the juice quality is so much better. Many people who start off with a cheap centrifugal juicer are often surprised when they purchase a more expensive masticating juicer like the Omega VRT350 because it costs more but takes longer to juice.
Patience is the key to high quality juice and low speed means more healthy enzymes and less oxidation of the juice. Indeed, juice from a masticating juicer may well last longer in the fridge than juice from a centrifugal juicer. Some people report that they can store masticated juice 48 hours longer than juice from a centrifugal juicer.
Be prepared for some extra prep work with a masticating juicer like this one. You can’t huge pieces of carrot into it for example. It will jam if you try too. Luckily there is a reverse switch to help clear jams. You really need to treat this juicer with respect by chopping produce and feeding it an alternating mix of soft and hard produce.
It’s also best to chop celery as the long strands can get wrapped around the auger and cause problems. If you prep your produce correctly you won’t have a problem with the Omega VRT350 and it will reward you with juice of superb quality.
The VRT350 also works with a dual stage processing system which in plain English means that it extracts more juice from the fruits and vegetables you feed it. It really shines when juicing leafy greens such as spinach, kale and collard greens. It even does a good job with wheatgrass.
It produces quite a dry pulp which is another sign of an efficient juicer.Omega has been including two different juicing screens recently. One fine for less pulp and the other more coarse for those who do like pulp (like me!). The juicing screen on the VRT350 is heavy duty and supposedly eight times stronger than screens in “other” juicers and should last for ages. My experience with Omega customer support has always been good and getting a replacement screen was never a problem but it’s nice to know they’ve toughened up the screen on this model.
There is also a patent on the design of the auger. This auger is supposed to be more efficient when squeezing and pressing fruits and vegetables. The result of course is more juice from the same ingredients. The VRT350 comes with two spouts and two 64 ounce containers. One for the juice and the other for pulp. Interestingly you can pour water through the chute to self clean the juicer between ingredients. The innovative cleaning system wipes the juicer screen clear during juicing increasing the VRT350s efficiency and making it easier to clean after juicing.
The build quality of the unit is good and it is fairly compact meaning you don’t need a lot of space on your counter top. I really like the Omega VRT350 and the juice it produces. It is of course pricey at around $380 but the juice is fantastic!
- Low speed, masticating style juicing system
- Juicer processes at 80 RPM, squeezing instead of grinding. This allows the juice to maintain its pure color, natural taste, vitamins and nutrients.
- Small, vertical footprint takes up less space in your kitchen.
- Dual stage juicer. First, juice is extracted by crushing the fruit or vegetable. Then, before the pulp is ejected, the pulp is squeezed during the second pressed stage. This results in a higher yield of juice and a very dry pulp.
- Economical since the juicer is so efficient and productive, you’ll get the greatest amount of nutrient rich juice from the least amount of fruits, vegetables, leafy greens.
- Includes 2 juicing screens, fine and coarse. Fine for those that like less pulp, and coarse for those that like more pulp.
- The low speed system limits froth and foam preventing oxidation. Juice can be stored for up to 72 hours without degradation or juice separation.
- Auto cleaning system wipes the screen clean to increase efficiency. You can also save time by pouring water through the chute to self clean the juicer when changing ingredients.
- Three settings: On, Off and Reverse. Reverse is an option to use when something is stuck or you need to unclog.
- Over-sized spout serves up drinks easily.
What People Are Saying About This Juicer
“It is quiet and easy to clean.” – Carol B. Smith
“It yields so much more high quality juice and so less pulp!!!” – HeatherCJackson1
“Juice tastes great, fiber comes out reasonably dry, and clean up is simple enough.” – C. Conkey